President’s Notes, February 2019
Dear TiE DC Community:
Greetings and good wishes for 2019!
I am very excited and honored to lead TiE DC, the premier organization supporting our vibrant entrepreneur community, and connecting us globally with others of similar pursuit.
I feel fortunate to work with an excellent dedicated board of fifteen members, committed to keeping up the momentum of making TiE DC very relevant for our membership in all categories of needs and aspirations. The Board has been hard at work to develop meaningful programming for this year to foster connections and enable insights for growing businesses.
As it has been stated so well by the past president, I want to reiterate that TiE is the ONLY organization providing a critical platform that began for the first and second-generation immigrant entrepreneurs and has extended beyond. As a member of TiE DC, you are part of the largest global network of entrepreneurs, with 15,000 members in 60 chapters across 17 countries. Traveling to major cities in the U.S. and around the world, you can develop valuable relationships with fellow company builders. If you are a seasoned and successful entrepreneur, your joining TiE DC would be a give-back to the community of upcoming entrepreneurs or making new partnerships. So, if you are a Charter Member, a Member, or wondering whether to join or re-join TiE DC, now is the time to join this growing global force.
Our vision and goals for this year:
- Plan events that are truly meaningful to the TiE DC community
- Create partnerships with similar organizations
- Special focus on enhancing women entrepreneurship
- Start a TiE DC Investment Fund for Start-up Entrepreneurs
- Build upon last year’s GovCon events
- Starting an initiative on Social Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship
- Continue our success with start-up workshops
- Implement a more sustainable model for hosting the 8-week training and competition for The Young Entrepreneur (TYE) program that has been one of our highly acclaimed initiatives.
Some significant changes made this year include assistance of RMK Productions to execute the TiE DC operations, after the wonderful support of Blue Egg (Robin Dvorak) for the past several years. We are looking forward to work with Reggie Kouba and her team, who can be reached at [email protected].
The board has also developed a new model of membership and sponsorship, along with changing the tenure of the President from two-years to one-year.
For 2019, we have developed a dynamic calendar to help foster deeper connections:
- Charter Member Power Lunches – upcoming March – TiE Angel Investing
- TiE Tuesdays – Upcoming (and more to be announced for June, September & November)
- March – Emerging Technology
- May – Celebrating Success of Women Entrepreneurs
- Startup Workshop – March
- Strategic Partnership: Future of Technology Summit – April 8-9, Ronald Reagan Building, Washington, DC
- TYE Bootcamp – Finals presented April 28
- Strategic partnership: Wharton Innovation Summit – May 7, Washington DC
- TiE BiggieBills Strategy Tournament – July
- TiE DC Shark Tank (TBD)
- Strategic Partnership: American Bazaar – Women Entrepreneurship Conference September 22
- Strategic Partnership: Harvard Business School – September/October
- TiE GovCon – October
Some great social events are organized for our TIE DC families, such as:
- Music Concert with Arijit Singh – April 20
- TiE DC President’s Barbecue – August 24 – McLean, VA
- TiE DC Golf – September
- TiE DC Diwali – November
- TiE Holiday Gala – December
Mark your calendar for these TIE Global events:
- May 9 – 12: TiEcon in San Francisco, CA, USA
- Jan 15 – May 9: TYE University Global Competition 2019, Santa Clara, CA, USA
- June 22 – 23: TYE Global Business Plan Competition in Boston. MA
- July 4 – Jul 7: TiE Charter Member Retreat in Dubrovnik, Croatia
- November 22 – 25: TiEcon Delhi in New Delhi, India
We hope to have new members join in the fun and to all the new members – we sincerely invite you to get more engaged and active! Your ideas and efforts will make the TiE DC a vibrant community for growth, ideas and partnerships. Please contact any of us on the board directly and help us make TiE DC even more exciting and meaningful.
Dr. Smita Siddhanti
TiE DC President
TiE Tuesday: Hosted Professor and Author Amy Bhatt
TiE DC’s first event of 2019 was a very well-attended event! For our first event of 2019, we met on January 28 at Bombay Tandoor in Tysons Corner to have a conversation with Dr. Amy Bhatt, Associate Professor of Gender and Women’s Studies, Affiliate Assistant Professor in the Language, Literacy and Culture Program and the Asian Studies Program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. Dr. Bhatt shared perspectives from her new book, High-Tech Housewives: Indian IT Workers, Gendered Labor, and Transmigration.
2019 TiE Young Entrepreneurs Boot Camp and Business Plan Competition Kickoff
On Saturday, February 3, 2019, TiE DC kicked off its eight-week TYE Boot Camp. TYE helps high school students discover the rewards and challenges of becoming an entrepreneur. The students will continue to develop a business plan over the next several weeks in preparation of April’s preliminary competition.
TYE develops strong business acumen, communication skills, time management, and confidence to lead in a global environment.
Charter Member News: Congratulations to TiE DC’s Sheela Murthy for Being Recognized by Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders in Corporate Immigration
Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders in Corporate Immigration for 2019 recently published the list of some of the world’s foremost immigration practitioners in corporate immigration law. The inaugural edition of Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Corporate Immigration for 2019 features those who are recognized as thought leaders across the nation and the world in U.S. corporate immigration law.
There are only two attorneys recognized with this prestigious recognition/award in Maryland and both of the attorneys in Maryland are from the Murthy Law Firm. Kudos to the Murthy Law Firm for having both Sheela Murthy and Khorzad Mehta recognized from among peers across the nation for their thought leadership in corporate immigration.
Through extensive interviews with the practitioners across the U.S. and in different regions, Thought Leaders – Corporate Immigration highlights giants in the field of corporate immigration. The lawyers are recognized not only to their in depth knowledge and experience guiding clients on sophisticated legal issues, but also for their ability to inspire, be creative, and care about their clients, going well beyond the confines of being just outstanding lawyers but strategic and outstanding leaders. Kudos to the Murthy Law Firm for this singular accomplishment.
Membership Descriptions and Qualifications
Charter Member (CM) – $1,500/Year
Special Charter Member Discount through February – $2000 for two years!
Who: Founders, CEOs and CXOs of growing companies with at least ~$5M in revenue or $10M in venture investment
- FREE registration for TiE DC events
- Invitations to exclusive TiE Global professional and social events for Charter Members
- Access to a global network of peers and mentors
Member (Emerging Entrepreneurs & Professionals) – $200/Year
Who: Earlier-stage company leaders and entrepreneurs, and professional service providers
- Discounted or FREE registration for TiE Tuesday events
- Invitations to exclusive TiE DC networking and professional development programs
Executive Member/Sponsor – Corporate Member – $2,500/Year
Who: senior executives of professional services companies supporting entrepreneurs
- FREE registration for TiE DC events
- Invitations to exclusive TiE DC programs with Charter Members
- 4 Membership per company
Sponsor Charter Member – $5,000/Year
Special Category for Service Providers
Now is the Time to Join TiE DC
TiE is among the largest entrepreneurship organizations in the world, with a vast global network of 12,000 entrepreneurs, serial entrepreneurs, business leaders, domain experts and mentors. Membership for entrepreneurs is $200 per year and offers you access to educational, mentoring and networking opportunities for building and growing your business.
TiE Charter Members are successful, high profile entrepreneurs, corporate intrapreneurs and thought leaders, who have reached a stage in their professional life when they are ready, willing and able to contribute to fellow members. Charter Membership is $2,000/year and offers local and global benefits, with free and exclusive invitations to programs.